Port and Destination Development and Representation
As managing director for Thomson Cruises (now known as Marella Cruises), many port executives made presentations to the cruise line, without truly understanding its objectives, passengers, ships and itineraries. David has a deep and thorough understanding of cruise line planning objectives and processes that has proved of benefit to ports and destinations looking to increase their cruise tourism business.
As well as going “back to basics” on strategy and operations, services for ports and destinations include but are not limited to:-
- Identification of future itineraries that fit with both client and cruise line objectives, being different for different cruise lines.
- Identification of new tours products for different cruise line segments.
- Obtaining cruise line feedback
- Meetings with cruise lines either with or on behalf of clients. Travelyields is extremely well connected with the cruise line itinerary planning decision makers.
- Recommendations on marketing and online support – English translation where required.
- Workshops for port and destination stakeholders to maximise the port/city/supplier relationship for the benefit of cruise lines and ultimately repeat calls.
- Advice and recommendation on port operations on arrival day.
CLIENTS HAVE INCLUDED :- Port of Bilbao, Spain; Port of Rouen, France; Turku Touring, Finland; Alanya Cruise Port, Turkey, Cruise Port Harlingen, Holland, and Stornoway Port Authority in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland
CASE STUDY – PORT AND CITY OF ROUEN, FRANCE
Bespoke Market Assessment and Consultancy for ports, destinations, cruise lines and suppliers
Studies have ranged from (typically) individual analyses (40 page reports), to major studies that have been contributed to by a Travelyields’ specialist team, of up to 200 pages in length plus for example, additional terminal designs. All reports are delivered with recommendations.
Content may include, but is not limited to:
(For ports and destinations)
- Studies of market size and potential
- Primary and secondary qualitative and/or quantitative research
- Economic Impact
- Tariff Comparisons
- Project profit and loss
- Navigational constraints
- Terminal design
- Risk Assessment
(For cruise lines)
- Competitor analysis – price, itineraries
- On-board product and revenue
- Yield management and per person per day price analysis
- Analysis of channel distribution
- Air-lift opportunities and fly cruising.
CLIENTS HAVE INCLUDED :- Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines; The City of Hull; Forth Ports Group PLC; Visit Aalborg, Denmark; MSC Cruises; Continental Data Graphics (A Boeing Company), The PEEL Entertainment Group, Stornoway Port Authority, Port of Southampton, Port of Ystad, Sweden, Aberdeen Harbour Authority.
CASE STUDY – THE CITY OF HULL, UK CAPITAL OF CULTURE 2017
Due Diligence for Potential Investors and Project Bidders
An increasing number of projects have involved working as an “industry expert” with researchers, investors or consulting engineers, in the critique or provision of market and/or financial data to enable managers to make decisions for future investment. In addition, projects have involved a description and assessment of the implications of executive changes within the conglomerate cruise line companies.
Given the sensitive nature of such investments, clients are kept confidential. However, examples of projects include the following
PROJECTS HAVE INCLUDED:-
- An assessment of Carnival Corporation senior management capability following a number of high profile incidents at sea, and the actions taken as a result, for a City fund manager.
- A critique of a vendor’s market and financial model for an investor looking to invest in a group of ports.
- Providing “market expertise” for well-known Consulting Engineer Company as part of a bid for finance to implement a Port Masterplan development.
International Conference Moderation and Training Events
Travvelyields’ David Selby is in high demand to speak or moderate at cruise industry conference. Since the formation of Travelyields, this has been carried out in Miami, Moscow, Hamburg, Madrid, Marseilles, Nice, Oslo, Stockholm, Paris, Shanghai, Montreal and the beautiful Hardangerfjord in Norway.
CLIENTS HAVE INCLUDED :- CLIA (The Cruise Lines International Association) Seatrade UBM, Cruise Baltic, Atlantic Alliance, European Cities Marketing, Breezline Tours and Cruises, Cruises News Media Group, Cruise North Sea Gateway.
CASE STUDY – BREEZELINE TOURS AND CRUISES, MOSCOW. See also “To Call or Not To Call”